When an American citizen or U.S. citizen has lawfully married a person who is a resident of a foreign country, it can be possible for the foreign resident to obtain a permanent residency in the United States. Obtaining a permanent residency will allow the immigrant to become a legal permanent resident and this will help this person lawfully reside and obtain a job in the country.

If you are a resident of another country and are married to a U.S. citizen, you and your partner will need to fill out required forms and make sure that all necessary documentation is in order. The failure to complete the necessary documentation in the application process can not only delay the entire process but it can also prevent you from obtaining a permanent residency status.

Applying for a Green Card

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, the official forms used to obtain permanent residency through marriage involve the following forms:

The application process can vary on a case-by-case basis and will largely depend on whether the spouse who is sponsoring the immigrant is a permanent resident or a United States citizen. The entire duration of the application process will also depend on whether the petitioner is already within the United States or in a foreign country. In the event that the couple has been married for less than 2 years, the granted residency will be given on a conditional basis.

Important documents that may be needed in a permanent residency process may include the following:

  • A copy of the couple’s civil marriage certificate,
  • If applicable, copies that show all previous matrimonies have been terminated,
  • Evidence demonstrating any legal name changes, and
  • Approved photographs

The sponsoring partner will also need to provide documentation showing proof of permanent residency or citizenship.

Same Sex-Couples

The ability to obtain permanent residency through marriage has been recently expanded to include married couples of the same sex. This was made possible under the Supreme Court ruling that the Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional. This rule has allowed couples of the same sex the ability to receive equal benefits as heterosexual spouses under immigration laws. Because of this, many more people will now be able to apply for a permanent residency status through marriage.

Hire a Qualified Immigration Law Attorney

Becoming a permanent resident in the United States is possible if you successfully complete all the necessary documentation. Consider seeking the support of a qualified immigration law attorney for an expedited application process.

The attorneys at the King Immigration Law Group have many years of dedicated experience helping those interested in obtaining permanent residency in the United States. The firm understands that the process can be complex and time consuming. If you or someone you know is interested in petitioning for a U.S. permanent residency, hire the support of a proficient immigration law firm straightway.